Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I love skunks



I don’t mean to anthropomorphize here (spell check doesn’t know it, I know it but no way I am going to try to say it out loud) but skunks are morons.

Skunks rule: they score a solid 10/10 on the cuteness scale, they eat bugs that would otherwise eat your budding flower and fruit seedlings, they look totally awesome and they have a self preservation defense mechanism which you and I as humans discreetly crave.  Come on, admit it, we have a preternatural instinct to shit on that which we don’t like- for crying out loud it was beautifully articulated in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, I am just saying I love skunks.

But man they must be dumber than rocks, for all the trouble they manage to get into that even your average poorly-bred three-year old human can avoid.  I read on the internet that there is a movement urging Yoplait® to change the design of their yogurt cups since so many skunks- around the world! - manage to get their heads stuck inside them while they are grazing our trash cans and dumpsters. I’ve freed a handful of them from yogurt cups over the years and I simply assume they trot away looking for their next slurp of blueberry & vanilla backwash.

These little black and white idiots apparently also are sports fans.  Where I work, our skunks have miles and miles of wildland space to forage, and yet, in only the last year I have found them completely entangled in field-goal netting at the local high school football field, a street hockey net over at the state park and this morning bound up in some kind of baseball backstop net inside this one lady’s garage.

I rolled up to the garage this morning and the lady was waiting for me.  I think I said something like this was my second skunk in netting in 2 weeks.

“Did the net survive?”

I thought she meant the skunk, and as I rifled through my tool box for wire cutters, paramedic shears, nutro-cal and a tongue depressor I explained how of course I was able to transport it to a local wildlife rehabilitation center to make sure it was rehydrated, its laceration injuries were treated and it was released back to the wild shortly thereafter.

“No.  I asked, did the netting survive? We just bought this baseball backstop and it cost $XX.00!”

“The netting never survives. Ever.”  (Solid eye-contact too- she got the point.)

I grabbed a blankie from one of my truck’s kennels and headed into the garage.

Where I work, skunks are like the second highest creature on the county health department’s rabies list.  Right under bats.  When I first stumbled my way into this job, I dealt with skunks at more than just arm’s length- I used the longest catch pole in the tool section, and destroyed more pairs of bullet-proof welder’s gloves (we call them raptor gloves, sounds cooler) than our budget allowed for.  Over time, I realized something.

Skunks- especially the babies, which most commonly reveal themselves to be retards-  are pretty much docile creatures. They deploy their God-given self-defense juice when they need to, and often.  But when they get into trouble, and by the time someone like me finds them, they are simply gassed out. Wrong phrase: they still spray.  But their energy level is diminished, they are low on blood sugar & water, and for whatever reason, they can’t bite through my cool crack-head frisking gloves I saw on COPS last year and ordered on-line during the very next commercial break.

I cut the shit out of the lady’s baseball netting...  and wrapped my putrid-smelling project into a sweet zebra-striped blankie, swabbed some nutro-cal onto its cute little tongue and shoved it into a bush in her back yard.

My boss kicked me out of the animal shelter when I got back to do some paperwork, apparently I got more of the little guy’s fragrance on my uniform than I thought and was making the rest of the staff sick.  Also, I had lunch with my partner later and she made me get us a table outside.  Whatever, The Bride’s not home yet and The Dog seems to like me more than usual.  (The gloves are in the trash can in the side yard.)

No comments: